>> FREE SCHOOL MEALS
The Government operates a free school meal system to support children from lower income families.
Pupil Premium is a funding scheme which allows schools to access additional funding linked to the number of children claiming free school meals (FSM).
It is therefore vital that parents who qualify for FSM apply, even if they do not wish to take up the offer of a free school meal.
Qualifying Criteria for Free School Meals
Your child will get free school meals in Waltham Forest if you or your partner receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Universal Credit*
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- The Guarantee Credit element of State Pension Credit
- Support from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS)
- Support from the Local Authority Social Services Asylum Team (SSAT)
- Child Tax Credit (if you’re not entitled to Working Tax Credit – see below), and you earn less than £16,190 a year
- Working Tax Credit for four weeks after your employment ends
- To get free school meals you must not earn over £7,400 a year.
- If you child now receives free school meals, this will continue until 31 March 2022 when rollout of universal credit ends.
- After this date, these children will keep getting free school meals until the end of their current school (primary or secondary).
- This applies to the child, not the family, so their siblings may not get free school meal
How to Apply for Free School Meals
To apply please visit the London Borough of Waltham Forest website here
If you require any advice or assistance applying please contact the school. All applications for free school meals will be treated in the strictest confidence.